- Created: October 29, 2013 - 2:45 pm
- Written by Jason Shaya
1) Not sure the team could've resoundingly answered the questions that arose from an embarrassing home defeat on Oct. 20 than they did this past weekend. With the exception of the first period of Saturday's game against Rockford, the team played brilliant hockey.
2. The story of the weekend was John Muse's return to past glory. Both Friday and Sunday were the best I've ever seen him play. Not only was he making most saves look elementary, he mixed in a few highlight reel stops for good measure.
3. The signing of Rick DiPietro makes me believe Carolina's goaltending might be a longer-term problem than reported. I'm assuming they will take a very close look at him this week for Charlotte.
4. When the Checkers really need offense, it seems like Chris Terry never lets them down.
5. Head coach Jeff Daniels went out of his way to praise Michal Jordan after Friday's win against Grand Rapids. Daniels said Jordan was probably the best player on the ice. Jordan has ascended to become the team's most important defenseman very early In the season.
6. Non hockey note: if you turn your back on a 1-year-old after giving them food, it most likely ends up on the floor.
7. I know the Checkers allowed only one goal this weekend but I'm pretty sure they should have three shutouts in a row. The third period "goal" by Jimmy Hayes against Allen York, who was brilliant in net all game, never crossed the line. The goal judge turned the light on late and the referee hesitated to call it a goal. The video review was inconclusive and didn't overturn the call on the ice. I'm positive the puck never crossed the line.
8. Manny Malholtra hadn't played three games in three nights in over a decade. Nevertheless, I don't think he lost hardly any faceoffs all weekend and ended Sunday at +1.
9. The way things are going, I don't see how anyone stops San Jose on the way to their first cup this season.
10. This road trip is unnecessarily long but it's nice to get two days off to spend time with my family in the middle of it. Also, I'm sick of bus rides less than a month into the season.