September 13, 2012 1:59 PM
The Checkers are once again partnering with the Carolina Hurricanes to bring the "Pick Up A Book & Read" program to area elementary schools during the 2012-13 school year.
The goal of "Pick Up A Book & Read" is to motivate and encourage students to challenge and improve their reading abilities. The six-week program invites third, fourth and fifth graders to read as many pages from as many different sources as possible and earn rewards based on the number of pages he or she has completed.
The 2012-13 program will run from Oct. 21 through Feb. 1. Each teacher will choose the six-week period that works best for them. The last day to register is Dec. 14, and all results must be turned in by Feb. 8.
Links for teachers:
FOR THE STUDENTS
- All students participating will receive a certificate of accomplishment.
- An All-Star Certificate is awarded to the top classroom reader from each class.
- The top reader from each grade level in each school will receive tickets to a predetermined Charlotte Checkers hockey game.
- The overall program (all schools included) top reader from each grade will receive a Charlotte Checkers prize.
- The top three schools in the entire program, based on final reading results, will have an on-site visit by the Charlotte Checkers mascot, Chubby, and the Community Relations Department on a mutually agreed-upon date.
FOR THE TEACHERS:
- Each teacher that has a class participating in the Pick Up A Book and Read program will receive a certificate of appreciation.
- The top 4 teachers who produce the highest reading results will receive a special gift and be featured on the teams' web sites along with their students.