Click here to download a guidelines and instruction flyer for the program.
Teachers, click here to register for the 2010-11 school year.
CHARLOTTE, NC—Charlotte Checkers COO Tera Black announced today that the team has partnered with the Carolina Hurricanes and Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools to launch the “Pick Up A Book and Read” incentive reading program.
The goal is to motivate and encourage students to challenge and improve their reading abilities. The six-week program invites third, fourth and fifth graders to read as many pages from as many different sources as possible and earn rewards based on the number of pages he or she has completed. Prizes from the Hurricanes and Checkers will include tickets, jerseys and a visit from the Checkers’ mascot, Chubby.
“Supporting literacy and education among youth in Charlotte is an area of focus of our community initiatives,” remarked Black. “We are excited to partner with the Hurricanes and CMS to provide reading incentives to students and look forward to witnessing great results.”
This year’s program will run from Nov. 8 through Feb. 18, with a deadline to sign up of Jan. 7, and each teacher will choose the six week period that works best for them. Additional details can be found here.
The Checkers’ home opener is scheduled for Friday, Oct. 15 at Time Warner Cable Arena. Season tickets for the inaugural 2010-11 AHL season are now on sale and season ticket packages start as low as $10 per game. Ticket information can be obtained by calling 704-342-4-ICE or visiting www.gocheckers.com.
FOR THE STUDENTS:
- All students participating will receive a certificate of accomplishment.
- The top reader from each grade level at each school will receive four tickets to a predetermined Charlotte Checkers hockey game.
- The top 3rd, 4th and 5th grade reader from the entire program will receive a Charlotte Checkers home jersey and four tickets to a Carolina Hurricanes hockey game.
- The top three schools, based on final reading results, will have an on-site visit by the Charlotte Checkers mascot, Chubby, and the community relations team on a mutually agreed upon date.
FOR THE TEACHERS:
- Each teacher that has a class participating in the Pick Up A Book and Read program will receive a certificate of appreciation.
- The top 4 teachers who produce the highest reading results will receive a special gift and be featured on both the Carolina Hurricanes and Charlotte Checkers’ websites along with their students.